If you tend to steer away from hot and spicy dishes, this vegan recipe will change your mind. Offering nearly 24 grams of protein per serving, this warm and comforting stew refuels your muscles after a tough workout, satisfies your taste buds, and helps give your metabolism a “moderate boost,” according to dietician Julie Upton, MS, RD. Delicious straight from the pot, it’s even better the next day as leftovers. Cook up a big batch on Sunday night, and enjoy it as a budget-friendly healthy lunch all week long.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth, plus more if needed
- 6 cups chopped stemmed kale
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, potatoes, coriander, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and kale and cook, stirring occasionally, to wilt the kale.
- Stir in the bell pepper, tomatoes with their juices, chickpeas, and salt, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes, adding a little more broth if desired.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Serve hot.
Source: Calorie Count
- 4 servings
- Calories per serving
Read more at https://www.popsugar.com.au/fitness/Chickpea-Kale-Soup-42573310#GzXbVveUEQd3sqJt.99