Serves 2 – 4
- 2 medium-sized Italian Eggplants. sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 400g can of organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tbsp coconut oil divided
- 1 small bunch of parsley, minced
For the Tahini Sauce
- 1/4 cup organic tahini
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- 1/4 cup water
- Dash of salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients for the tahini sauce together in a blender or with an immersion blender. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Once eggplant is sliced in half lengthwise, use a small spoon to scoop out the center (leaving a 1/4 inch wide shell.) Save the scooped out eggplant and quickly dice it up.
- Drizzle about 1 TBS of the oil onto the eggplant and place cut side down on a prepared baking sheet. Cook in the oven for about 15-25 minutes (or until eggplant is evenly cooked and slightly browned on the bottom.) Check often to make sure eggplant doesn’t burn.
- Cook couscous
- While couscous cooks heat the remaining oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes. Add the tomatoes, diced eggplant and chickpeas. Turn heat to low and cook string often (for about 5 more minutes). Add cooked couscous to the pan and mix well to combine. Season everything with a little salt and pepper.
- Scoop a healthy portion of the couscous mixture into each eggplant. Drizzle with a little tahini sauce and garnish with a few tablespoons of minced parsley.
Use this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary