The zucchini fruit is low in calories and contains useful amounts of folate, potassium, manganese and vitamin A. This dish combines the zucchini’s refreshing quality with a nutty, flavoursome filling that is light but satisfying.
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, diced
- 1 cup almonds, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out and dice the centers. Reserve the flesh for the stuffing.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onion and ginger in the olive oil over medium heat for 5 -10 minutes. Stir in the carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, and reserved zucchini flesh, and sauté 5 – 10 minutes more. Add the almonds and tamari and sauté for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Evenly stuff the zucchini halves with the sautéed vegetables and place them on a baking tray. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until golden on top.