View original article here.
This super-healthy, hypoallergenic soup is brimming with nutrients that can give a real boost to your immune system. Orange-fleshed sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, beta-carotene and other antioxidant compounds, while thyme, onions and ginger lend their anti-bacterial, mucus-clearing and anti-inflammatory properties to this savoury soup.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 large sweet potatoes (pink, orange, or yellow variety), peeled and chopped
- 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until golden.
- Pour in the broth and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes and ginger, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork (about 20 to 25 minutes).
- Working in batches, purée soup in a blender or use an immersible hand blender to blend soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with fresh thyme and serve hot.