Did you know that many Chinese herbs are common foods?
Seeds, beans, fruits, nuts, spices and root vegetables are commonly used in Chinese Medicine to nourish the body.
Seeds, beans and warming spices are especially beneficial during the winter.
Enjoy this recipe for a tasty treat which can prevent grey hair, brighten the eyes, moisten dry skin, and benefit digestion.
Ingredients with Chinese herb names and functions
- 2 cups black sesame seeds (about 12 oz)
– hei zhi ma: Nourishes the Liver and Kidneys, nourishes the blood, prevents grey hair, brightens the eyes, moistens the skin, lubricates the Intestines.
- ½ – ¾ cup honey
– feng mi:Nourishes the Spleen and Stomach, boosts energy, stops dry cough.
- ¼ – ½ cup malt sugar (can substitute brown sugar)
– yi tang: Benefits digestion, alleviates abdominal pain, moistens the Lungs and stops dry cough.
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
– rou gui: Warms the body, disperses cold, alleviates cold pain (especially joint pain). Western research also shows this herb to help regulate blood sugar and cholesterol.
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
– gan jiang: Warms the body, transforms mucus, benefits digestion.
- *pinch of ground nutmeg
– rou dou kou: Warms digestion, alleviates abdominal pain.
- *pinch of ground cardamom
– bai dou kou: Strengthens the Stomach, relieves abdominal discomfort, eliminates phlegm and dampness.
- *pinch of ground fennel
– xiao hui xiang: Benefits digestion, settles nausea, stops abdominal and lower body pain.
- *pinch of ground cloves
– ding xiang: Warms and benefits the digestion, stops hiccoughs.
*choose all or some of these spices to suit your personal taste.